“Home is where the Heart is…”
I hope you are having an awesome day! You may or may not know my husband is from the USA and I’m from Australia. I always had a thing for foreigners… So here I am.
There are some really wonderful things about having a partner who is from a different place then you. And some big challenges. As is the case with us on agreeing where to live. Where ever we are one or both of us feels homesick.
What do you do when you feel homesick?
Here are some of my tips for feeling better when you’re homesick.
1. Get active, eat well, get enough sleep and stay healthy. If you feel well, in general, you will feel better about everything.
2. Join a team, a club or a meet up group. Making friends is KEY!
3. Get busy, not stressed. Fill your life with things you enjoy.
4. Immerse yourself in the new culture. You will learn a lot, appreciate the people you meet better and find things you enjoy in the new place that you can’t get at home.
5. Let down your guard. Use this time as a chance to be who you were too afraid to be at home. No one knows you so who cares anyway?
6. Stay in touch regularly but not excessively with the people at home. You want to be a part of their lives, but you also need to have a life!
7. Order some comfort foods from home online or have someone ship them for you. You will appreciate these foods even more!
8. Try local produce and foods. Develop new favorites!
9. Plan a visit home. You will feel better knowing you will see family and friends soon.
10. Welcome visitors and show off your new location.
What are your tricks and tips for dealing with homesickness?
Lots of love,